10 April 2016

Climate on Stamps

When I read the theme for today on Sunday Stamps-II, Weather, this is the first that came to mind:


Probably you have seen before. this international rate stamp issued by USPS in 2014, dedicated to Sea Surface Temperatures. I read here that it is not a real image, but a model. Still, and despite I have received it many times, I love this design and the theme.

Thanks to Heleen's post, I learned that the following stamp, sent by her some years ago, is also about weather (cloud formations). It belongs to a series of Summer Stamps from 1990. I did not realised, at first sight, that the black lines are actually isobares, and do not belong to the postmark! 


And weather leads also to the four seasons. I have uploaded some stamps about spring to the blog. I love specially the sakura stamps (like these). Again, thanks to Sunday Stamps, I looked more closely at this one and discovered it is dedicated to the spring too, and belong to a series of four (see here the whole) issued during 2006.



8 comments:

  1. Ah, I would never have thought about the global sea surface temperature stamp for today - clever choice. I love the Dutch stamp with the isobars - great design - at first I thought it was a special postmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had completely forgotten this stamp until Heleen pointed at it. Me too, I thought it was the postmark. This is the envelope it was stuck to.

      Delete
  2. You're showing great findings! I totally had forgotten the US stamp, even though it has arrived often, and I agree with FinnBadger: clever choice! So is the connection with the four seasons, I have a few more about seasons and I totally forgot!..
    Thank you for posting, and indeed isobars fit well as postmarks :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't an easy theme, was it? At first I thought I didn't have any stamp to show! Sometimes, I don't look at arriving stamps on detail, so I re-discovered them after a while.

      Delete
  3. You'd think that somewhere in that circle the USPS could have written 'sea surface temperatures' to make it easy for some of us!
    I'm so glad you were able to rise to the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, didn't recognise the sea temperature stamp for what it is despite in being in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm glad I added it to the post today.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.