18 September 2016

Fruits on Stamps

The theme for today's Sunday Stamps-II is Fruits and nuts.

I would like to share first a stamp I sent (on a handmade envelope also featuring fruits; see it on FinnBadger's blog):


This stamp was issued on a miniature sheet of two, on 25 September 2015. The belong to Protected Denominations of Origin (DOP) of gastronomy products. Pimientos de Padrón or Herbón peppers' production is limited to an area in the Atlantic watershed that comprises a group of valleys with low altitude, in the Galicia region. Some are spicy and some are not, is the saying typically associated with them. More information about this issue.


I have also received some fruits during this summer. From the USPS, the series Summer harvest designed by Michel Doret and issued on 11 July 2015:



They arrived on a two-parts letter (sent to Morocco and Spain):




I think I had not uploaded these tiny stamps so far. They were issued also by USPS this year, on 17 January (red pears) and 19 February (grapes). I think they are not easy to spot on personal letters, because they are sold in rolls of 10000 (?!).




And more fruit stamps that I have got, from the UK. The Fun Fruit 'n' Veg Smilers Sheet was issues on 7 March 2006.



I love the simplicity of these designs. And plus... they are customisable with stickers:


And as bonus...

17 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the US ones but if thy are sold to businesses that would explain it. I know some of my US friends send a lot of cards but I can't imagine them buying the stamps in rolls that size. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm still amazed that I got those on a letter...

      Delete
    2. You can also buy them in strips (parts of the bigger rolls) of 500. I find it odd that the backgrounds are different shades of white on these stamps.

      Great selection today - the Summer Harvest stamps are one of my favorite recent designs, and those Royal Mail fruit/vegetable stamps are a lot of fun.

      Delete
    3. Thanks!
      Stamp with fruits are always cheerful. The retro designs on the stamps from the USA are really cheerful and bright.

      Delete
  2. I like the retro feel of the summer harvest stamps. The tiny stamps are nice but rolls of 10,000, wow you would have to save up for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FinnBadger wrote that you can buy just 500,but still...

      Delete
  3. I think I want a bowl of fruit salad right now! Great stamps Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have bought rolls of 100 stamps ($85.00) but only because I am Postcrossing and am up to 56 cards sent at a time! Even that takes awhile to get through as I add other stamps to make up the $2.50. Those little fruit stamps are very nice - shame that it is such a high volume.
    And how cool that British stamps are getting the Finnish treatment with stickers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also bought sheets of 50 stamps of 0,02 or 0,03 €. But 10,000, it seems a lot even for mail addicts! :)

      I also thought that those stamps look more Finnish than British.

      Delete
  5. I so much love fruit so these stamps are a delight to me!

    Funny that you name shaped stamps the 'Finnish' way (treat, appearance). They are famous of course for the shaped Moomins stamps. I've seen English, Spanish, Canadian (and Dutch) shaped stamps since then. But I'm wondering: were the Finnish the first to start creating shaped stamps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Other than triangled stamps - the stamp from Gabon Violet showed is wonderful and shaped, too)

      Delete
    2. Not "Finnish" because they are shaped, but because you can personalise them adding mount, nose, eyes...
      I'm sure I've read about, but I've forgotten which country issued the first shaped stamps.

      Delete
    3. Sierra Leone issued the first free-form self-adhesive stamp in 1964. It was in the shape of a map of the country.

      Delete
  6. I hadn't checked your post before I did mine withe the same USA watermelons etc. I only every saw one for the GB set with a sticker - great fun

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.