25 December 2016

Christmas Seals


Every time I had seen these on letters from Denmark, I have thought they were postage stamps. Only this year I have realised that they have not any face value. Of course, because they are not postage stamps, but Christmas seals!

The Christmas seals are specially designed stamps launched each year and sold as extra 'seals' in addition to Christmas stamps. They appeared in Denmark in 1904, as a way or raising money to help children sick with tuberculosis. Then the idea spread out around the world.


But it is in Denmark Christmas seals are quite a tradition, and their unveiling is an expected event every year. You see in this link all the Danish Christmas seals issued so far.


You can read more about Christmas Seals in this entry of the Wikipedia.

(This is a scheduled post. I will try to add this post to Sunday Stamps-II, even if it does not fit exactly in Religious Christmas. But probably I will be too busy with family meetings!)

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link - the sheets of seals are amazing, and you're right, they do look like stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What intrigud me is that they don't show the rate.

      Delete
  2. I remember we used to have Christmas seals, but haven't seen them in many years.
    Thanks for your participation in Sunday Stamps!
    And a very Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Christmas Seals from childhood and always associated them with benefits and charities. They disappeared and were forgotten until now. Am off to see what Google says about them.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was confused by these seals for many years. I receive two from a lady in Denmark every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 2016 sheet is gorgeous, fascinating to see the seals throughout the years on the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice to see how they have changed since the beginning.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.